Dundee Library's Reviews > Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board

Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton

May 12, 11

bookshelves: staff-favs-audrey

As soon as I saw the movie, Soul Surfer, I had to read this book and get the back story! The movie actually does a pretty good job keeping to the true events of Bethany Hamilton's 2003 shark attack and journey back to surfing.
What can I say? I LOVED it. Bethany's faith in Christ allows her to not give up on life even when she doesn't always understand why bad things are permitted to happen. I really am inspired by her story and courage. This is a great reminder to me to be thankful for what I am blessed with and to not allow trials to hold me back. Instead of feeling sorry for herself after she loses an arm, Bethany learns to accept it and starts training to surf with one arm. Wow. I don't know if I would even get back in the ocean if that happened to me. I believe her positive attitude and strong faith make her a worthy role model for anyone and her story one worth reading. Go see the movie and pick up this book! 5 stars. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Surfer.