Michael's Reviews > The Imagination of the Heart: Book Seven of the Story of Sailor and Lula

The Imagination of the Heart by Barry Gifford

May 20, 11

Read in May, 2011

Like a lot of people, probably, I didn’t start reading Barry Gifford until after seeing David Lynch’s adaptation of his work, Wild At Heart. Once I jumped into the literary world of Sailor and Lula, I was completely hooked and looked for anything I could get my hands on by Gifford. What first surprised me while reading the book, was what I took as Lynch’s trademark weirdness in the film was mostly pulled straight from the source material. The synopsis for any Gifford story is almost always the same: two outsiders find each other, form an instant bond, trade stories about their lives as they meander about the country meeting eccentric characters while getting involved in all types of sex, violence and mayhem until they finally crash and burn. Characters come and go at a fast and furious pace- introduced in one chapter and killed off in the next. Weaving in and out of a majority of the stories were Sailor and Lula, and it was sad to see their saga come to an end.

Here’s a list of just some of the killers, gangsters, preachers, terrorists, drug dealers, kidnappers, runaways, artists, psychopaths, the lost, the lonely, and the lovesick that made these stories so enjoyable.

Marietta Fortune, Dalceda Delahoussaye, Marcello “Crazy Eyes” Santos, Bobby Ray Lemon, Bugle Lugubre, Madonna Kim, Etta Foy, Tandy Flowers, Spook Strickland, Rev. Willie Thursday, Coot Veal, Tyrus Raymond Rattle, Fudge Clay, Zero Diplopappus, Mary Full-of-Grace, Colonel St. Jude Napoleon, Fanny Rose Bravo, Jim-Baby Fitch, Blackie Caddo, Consuelo Whynot, Oh-Boy Wilson, Venus Tishomingo, Felix Perfecto, Bagby Beggs, Bobby Peru, Rev. Goodin Plenty, Rita Manoa-noa, Archie Chunk, Oretta “Kitty Kat” Cross, Romeo Dolorosa, Estelle Satisfy, Reggie San Pedro Sula, Pea Ridge Day, Provino Momo, Cutie Early, Purity Mayfield, Beatifica Brown, Dilys Salt, Sabina Yama, Miz Alfonzo, Marble Lesson, Arapaho White, Defillo Humble, Presciencia Espanto, Bitsy Tunc, Tombilena Gayosa, Victoria China Realito, Junebug Gilliam, Hypolite Cortez, Epistrophy Trane Taylor, Éclair Feu, Cobra Box, Cairo Fly, Baby Cat-Face, Jimbo Deal, Oren Topo, Perdita Durango, Pace Roscoe Ripley, Sailor Ripley, and Lula Pace Fortune.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imagination of the Heart.

Andrea Bet you had fun typing in all those characters' names, huh? I had fun seeing them again!