Linnae's Reviews > A Tale of Two Castles

A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: clean-reads, fantasy, juvenile
Read in December, 2011

Sent off to the big city to become an apprentice, Elodie decides instead of become assistant to a dragon--Meenore. In the process she becomes embroiled in a mystery surrounding a feared and hated ogre, a greedy king, a multi-talented thief, a couple of spies, and the princess.

I enjoyed this book, for the most part. The mystery kept my attention, and the characters nearly all proved to be more than they first appeared.

What drove me crazy was referring to the dragon as IT (just like that, all caps) throughout the book, (since no-one is supposed to know a dragon's true gender.) "IT" pulled me out of the narrative time and again--sometimes at first pass I would even hear it in my head as the acronym IT (you know, information technology) which pulled me out of the story even further. I don't feel that it added enough to the book to make it worth the constant distraction. In the overall scheme, the dragon's gender doesn't matter. At all. So let IT rest, please, and get on with the story!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Castles.