♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

Oct 20, 12

bookshelves: genre-paranromal, published-2012, steam-hot, read-2012
Read from January 10 to 11, 2012

Oct 20th, re-reading... Loooooove Lothaire!! Such a fun book.
------------------
Loved it! I mean, Who the HELL decided to pair the zillionaire wealthy and half-mad evil vampire Lothaire -- complete with a wicked dry sense of humor and a snobby God-like complex -- with a dirt-poor, barefooted, Appalachian hillbilly girl who is possessed by an evil Goddess, lives in a broken down trailer with her redneck family, and enjoys ‘parking’ for some good ol’ dry humping action?!

Hoooooey!! Hands out to Kresley Cole, cause this was just an unexpected and delicious F’N fun book to read! Cole is one of the most talented PNR authors out there, and this book is one of her best yet.

Could this be Elizabeth's favorite uncle Ephraim? LOL!

>>My mostly spoiler free recap with some of the highlights:

The beeeyotch Saroya, Soul Reaper and Goddess of Death and Blood, was cursed to die over and over while she possessed the lives of mortals not of her choosing. Finding herself pleasantly pleased to be in the body of Elizabeth Peirce, a young beauty living in the remote Appalachian mountains, she contrives with Lothaire to extract Ellie’s (Elizabeth) soul and turn her into an immortal vampire. Separately, Lothaire believes the Ring of Sums, a talisman that grants wishes, is the key to separating his bride from the vile human also inhabiting her body.

If you’ve read the series up to this point, you know that Lothaire has been frantically searching for the ring for a long time, finally stealing it from the finger of the sorceress La Dorada, aka The Gilded One, and a particularly treacherous adversary of Saroya’s. And… that he most recently lost the ring to the Commander Webb, the evil leader of the human faction known as The Order, upon his escape from island that held many immortals prisoners.

Lothaire frantically takes up his search for the ring, meanwhile imprisoning Elizabeth/Saroya to keep them safe from his adversaries. Lothaire also plots and prepares to extract revenge for his mother’s death and gain the thrones of two Kingdoms: Dacia and the Horde. And in a fun game of Tit for Tat, both Elizabeth and Saroya try to convince Lothaire that they are his intended bride, not the other one.

We see many characters here too! Yeah! We learn more about Balery, aka The Hag, as she helps Lothaire with her sorcery skills. Thaddeus Brayden, a 17 year old vampire/phantom Halfling who claims to be Lothaire’s only friend, makes a fun appearance too. And of course the Valkyrie ladies show up to flaunt their stuff, and Nix both dazzles and confuses us with her brilliance. (LOVE HER!) We learn more about Dorada too, and see that she is now regenerating into the beautiful woman she was once.

As you expect from any IAD book, the sexual tension goes OFF THE CHARTS! Holy Mother of Elvis, this book was SIZZLING HOT. When Ellie decides to show Lothaire what it is like to ‘go parking’, I about laughed myself silly. Lothaire and Ellie are two of the most opposite hero and heroine’s I think I’ve ever read, but THEY WORK. OMG, do they work. His condescending comments about her redneck life were priceless, and her ability to go toe-to-toe with him only drove him more deliriously mad.

If you haven’t started this series, you are really missing out! Bottom line, they are HOT, HILLARIOUS, BRILLIANT and FUN reads. The world building is so well done, few authors could even compare to Ms Cole, IMHO.

Yeehah! A FIVE STAR SQUIRREL REVIEW!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/10/2012
10.0% "DELICIOUS! My IAD fix is starting to give me a wonderful buzz..." 3 comments
28.0% 1 comment
35.0% "Hoo!!! (Excellent)"
01/11/2012
80.0% "Oh Lothaire! So wise, and yet, so not. But you make me laugh!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen LMAO! I must be missing out on a fantastic series 29 of my goodread buddies have marked it to read or wish listed this book.

♡Karlyn P♡ Kathleen wrote: "LMAO! I must be missing out on a fantastic series 29 of my goodread buddies have marked it to read or wish listed this book."

You are missing out! It's a great series, and I am not what you call a hardcore PNR fan. But this series? It's funny, hot, gritty, sexy, over-the-top, and addicting. :-)

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen KarLynP wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "LMAO! I must be missing out on a fantastic series 29 of my goodread buddies have marked it to read or wish listed this book."

You are missing out! It's a great series, and I am no..."

ACK, how many book's is the series into now? I have almost started A Hunger Like No Other several times and never did. One day Karlyn, one day :)

Keri Kathleen I agree with KarLyn, I am not a hardcore fan of the genre either, but I love this series.

♡Karlyn P♡ This is book 12 in the series, so yep there are a few to go. Do start from book 1, A Hunger Like No Other. If you like that book, you'll LOVE the series. I've been waiting for Lothaire for a long time!!

FOUR MORE DAYS!!

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen KarLynP wrote: "This is book 12 in the series, so yep there are a few to go. Do start from book 1, A Hunger Like No Other. If you like that book, you'll LOVE the series. I've been waiting for Lothaire for a long t..."

I hope it's a FANTASTIC read seeing you had to wait so long for it :) You have me itching to start this series.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen farmwifetwo wrote: "One of those series' I haven't started and with all the rave reviews am actually nervous to try it... Find if your expectations get too high you don't enjoy them as much."

farmwifetwo,I took the plunge and read A Hunger Like No Other already, LOVED it so much I am now on book 2, No Rest Of The Wicked and am enjoying it too :) I think you would really like this series, that is if you like your book's with lots of imagination, Action, sexual tension, HOT love scenes and really great characters.

♡Karlyn P♡ I waited til book 4 was out til I caved to the hype. I'm really not big on PNR too, so I was reluctant. Its worth reading the first book to see if the style and world building works for you.

Meli GM Glad to hear there are more fans to this series, can't seem to get enough of it! Finally Lothaire gets a book, counting down the hours for the meet and greet w/ Kresley Cole here in Houston, heard shes bringing the cover model to the book signing! ♥

Shannon C. Great review--I also loved this book! Thought it was one of the best in the series.

♡Karlyn P♡ Meli - Tell us more! Cole is making an appearance?! I'd faint if I met her. Tell her hi from me, PLEASE?!! And pinch the model in the butt for me too, you can tell him I made ya do it. :-0

♡Karlyn P♡ Shannon wrote: "Great review--I also loved this book! Thought it was one of the best in the series."

Me too! And that's a tall order.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen FANTASTIC REVIEW KAREN!!!! I had a smile on my face the whole time and even giggled a time or two while reading it.
I'm only on book two and am already digging Nix. She has already given me some LOL moments.
So how much longer do you wait for the next book? Anyone know?

message 14: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jan 12, 2012 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Kathleen - Nix becomes a bigger character as the series goes on. She is an important and pivotal character in pretty much all the books, and such a brilliant nut-job. Glad you are enjoying the series, I may have to pick your brain about some of the older story lines as it's been a while since I've read them. :-) Many of the stories over-lap, so its always fun to see a familiar scene from another book unfold once again but from another characters point of view. There are a lot of 'Ah hah!' moments to come.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Awesome review, KarLynP!! I can't wait to get my hands on this baby!!! Oh, yeeaaahhh... ^_^ LOL@ Uncle Ephraim's photo!

message 16: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I don't read this series but your review might have changed that !

message 17: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah After reading this review I will definitely be checking out this series!

♡Karlyn P♡ Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Awesome review, KarLynP!! I can't wait to get my hands on this baby!!! Oh, yeeaaahhh... ^_^ LOL@ Uncle Ephraim's photo!"

Thanks Lady Jayne! I've waited forever for Lothaire, and it didn't disappoint. Can't wait to read your review on it.

♡Karlyn P♡ Sarah wrote: "After reading this review I will definitely be checking out this series!"

Yodamom wrote: "I don't read this series but your review might have changed that !"

Sarah & Yodamom - Oh man, you're missing out on some good reading! Start with A Hunger Like No Other. Officially it's book 2, but book 1 is only a quick novella that doesn't give the 'full flavor' of the series, IMHO. Hope you enjoy!

Meli GM KarlynP: It was AMAZEBALLS...KC is by far my fav author and not only because of her writing but she has the sweet personality. She signed my copy of Lothaire and thankfully Paul signed and took pics w/ all that attended.
I'll post pics of the event on my page soon.
P.S. As per her publisher: Nix will NOT be the next book in the series but Fury's book will come out in the near future; also new characters will be introduced. She also has a new young adult series coming out this year.

message 21: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jan 13, 2012 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ OMG Meli, you met Kresley Cole!!!!! I'm so happy for you!! Post pics, post pics!! Did she give any info on her new series? Any spoilers? Nix will likely be one of her last books in the IAD series, so I guess it's happy/sad news we don't get it next year. I'm happy for you!!

Meli GM KarLynP: I'll get the pics uploaded asap and post them as for her new series she didnt go into much detail; about the hints on the books to follow will be about the Lykan Twins and the other about Lothan.
I'll keep you poster...

♡Karlyn P♡ Oh cool!!! Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Auntee You've said it all, Karen! Fantastic review!
Love your Uncle Ephraim...:)

♡Karlyn P♡ Thanks Auntee! I've been rereading some of my fav scenes.

message 26: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Love the dancing squirrels!

♡Karlyn P♡ AgentScully wrote: "Love the dancing squirrels!"

The squirrel jokes in this book were so hilarious, I had to add them :-)

♡Karlyn P♡ Meli GM wrote: "KarLynP: I'll get the pics uploaded asap and post them as for her new series she didnt go into much detail; about the hints on the books to follow will be about the Lykan Twins and the other about ..."

Meli, did you ever post photos? ;-)

Meli GM Waiting on my dearest (soon to be) old friend to return from her honey moon w/ MY CAMERA!!!!!
Will you be attending FeverCon in NOLA?

♡Karlyn P♡ I didn't realize she is doing another FeverCon! I tried to follow the last one as best I could over the net (watched everyone's posts for updates). I probably wont make it, but I will follow it if possible.

Looking forward to the photos. :-)

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana YESSSS! amazing review! i thought this book was the best ever :D

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict LOVE your review KarLynP!!!

♡Karlyn P♡ Dorsey wrote: "LOVE your review KarLynP!!!"

Tai the Lioness wrote: "YESSSS! amazing review! i thought this book was the best ever :D"

Thanks Tai and Dorsey! This was one on my favorite reads so far in 2012, I just love this series. So happy she has two more books coming this year, too. (One is a YA, which I don't often read, but I'll give it a chance. )

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Dorsey wrote: "LOVE your review KarLynP!!!"

Thanks Tai and Dorsey! This was one on my favorite reads so ..."

♡Karlyn P♡ Tai the Lioness wrote: "i actually read the excerpt she released for the YA book and I'm already hooked lol , and i don't do ya either :D .."

Oh cool, I didn't know there was an excerpt already! But I love the new cover.

message 36: by TJ (new)

TJ Oh Sheesh! I guess I'm going to have to give in and start buying these books! After your review, I just can't deny them anymore!

♡Karlyn P♡ TJ wrote: "Oh Sheesh! I guess I'm going to have to give in and start buying these books! After your review, I just can't deny them anymore!"

Lol, I honestly can't beleive there are still people who haven't tried this series, but that's just 'cause I'm such a big fan. If you ever do read them, they need to be read in order. One day I'm going to do a marathon reread of this series. Enjoy!!

message 38: by Christy (new)

Christy Hey Karlyn, thanks for the review/comment. Do you know I get some books depends on after I read your review.....:)) so, if you give such a highlight review, I know I have to get them:)..... I know it sounds bad.... But the thing is, a lot of time people gave such good recommendation about some books, but I end up really disappointed, for example "Fifty Shades of Grey"!
Than I read your comment & I go get Maya Banks book, and you right, it's better.... Also a lot of your comment it's matches my opinion so what I try to say, I like your review & can't wait for the next...:)

Karla This is a great review KarLyn, and I love the pics!! KC is amazing and so is this series!

Aoxboro good review

message 41: by Shen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shen Loved your review! Lmao at Uncle Ephraim's pic!

Alex is The Romance Fox Loved you review...and those dancing squirrels...laughed my head off