Shanella's Reviews > Angel

Angel by L.A. Weatherly

May 20, 11

bookshelves: netgalley, arc
Read from May 12 to 15, 2011

Angel story with a twist.

I haven’t read a lot of Angel related fantasy stories because the two that I did read were generic and a bit off putting. When I started reading this story I was worried that it would fall into that class, however, I was pleasantly surprised that it did not.

Angel Burn follows Willow and Alex. Willow lives with her aunt and her sick mother. She a gift - she can see the life and possible futures of others. She’s also unaware of the part of her that allows for this gift.

Alex has been trained for what seems his entire life to hate Angels. He is part of an assassin group who calls themselves AKs; their sole purpose is to kill Angels.

By itself, it might seem a bit campy, but the idea that these “angels” came from a different realm and are dangerous to humans - who think that they are the most wonderful beings to exist - is different from most of the stories I’ve heard of so that was the first thing I enjoyed. Secondly, I enjoyed the character and relational development of Alex and Willow. While they were dancing around their feelings, it felt natural that this would happen and not forced drama. I liked the flow of the action, just enough to keep me interested, but at the same time, not overwhelming.

Without being too spoilery (read this as it might be spoilery!) (view spoiler)

Overall I enjoyed this story and I’m looking forward to the second book. I’d like a few answers regarding these otherworldly beings and would like to see what happens to Alex, Willow and the world they occupy.

[review of arc via Netgalley]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.

05/14/2011 page 266