Dani's Reviews > Navarro's Promise

Navarro's Promise by Lora Leigh

U_50x66
May 12, 11

Read in May, 2011

This is the first Breed book I've read by Leigh and wow, I can't believe all the high ratings for this book. I picked it up with high hopes based on the ratings that Leigh somehow learned to write. Was I wrong or what?

Navarro and Mica were a good hero and heroine. Both are strong individuals and the human Mica and the wolf breed Navarro are good mates even though we are told over and over in the book that Navarro's senses or whatever (sorry I've not read the previous 23 books) aren't recognizing or registering Mica as a mate.

My problem with Leigh's books have to do with her poor grasp of basic writing skills. She tends to repeat whole paragraphs and phrases, her grasp of grammar and punctuation is poor enough to be a distraction when you are trying to get into a story. She seems popular enough with regards to sales that she should be able to afford to pay an independent editor to proof her books. I'm thinking she doesn't do this because she'd have to totally rewrite some of them.

Sentences like:

"Her mother definitely wouldn’t be pleased to know her daughter had taken one of the most dangerous, most indanger, men that she could choose." (indanger?)

"It was irritating, aggravating, but Mica knew there were times when Cassie thrived on the work." (What, Cassie should not thrive? Plenty of people with boring jobs would like to thrive.)

"Pouring moisture that saturated hair and clothing, washing it into Mica’s eyes, mixing with the tears
and washing away the blood that had eased from her scalp after the initial attack that had come earlier."

"She was alone in a city that was sleeping when it wasn’t supposed to, amid a storm she should have been safe from, comfortable and warm in her own bed."

While I do think that Leigh had fewer errors in this book that often show up in her Seal/Ops books (things like misspellings, unfinished sentences, time issues, adding issues etc), the writing is often choppy and repetitive which for me at least disturbed the flow of the story.

After rereading several paragraphs trying to figure out the flow or what made sense in the story, I finally gave up and skimmed to the end.

This book definitely does not make me want to read the prior 23 books nor does it give me any incentive to pick up #25.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Navarro's Promise.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dina Dani I think you chose the wrong book to start with. I've read all of the books (all out of order), but I think if NP was the first book I picked up I would think just like you. the earlier ones were good. Way better than this one. I think a lot of people who are fans of the series weren't that happy with this one.

message 2: by Cj (new) - added it

Cj I agree. Aiden's Charity, Dawn's Awakening, Elizabeth's Wolf were the best they had an emotional depth lacking in all of the rest of the books. I was really disappointed with Lion Heat Jonas' story he was such a strong character that I had higher expectations. I'm sick of the stories of the minor characters. I want to see Dane's story, Ely's story, Cassie's story, and a winged breed story. Then I think she needs to end this series.