Maggie Bryan's Reviews > South of Superior

South of Superior by Ellen Airgood

F 50x66
May 24, 11

Read from May 12 to 24, 2011

In November 2010, the gal at McLean and Eakins (Petosky, Michigan) told me that she had just finished reading South of Superior and that I should be on the lookout for it in May, 2011. Well, I finally got a copy and sat down to read it a few days ago. It was a very charming book. While I am a troll--a nickname given to those who live south (under) the Mighty Mac-- this book really resonated with me. My own family roots go to a small northern Michigan town that has a strong lumbering past and a very poor economic present. Everything Ellen Airgood wrote about seemed true and real. Life is hard for those living in rural communities but somehow those communities continue to exist.
Madeline lives in Chicago when a letter arrives asking her to come to Michigan's Upper Peninsula to help out her late grandfather's girlfriend. There is no reason to go to help for after all,did not her grandfather abandon her to be raised by a stranger? She breaks her engagement and heads north to live with Gladys and Arbutus in a small town on the shores of Lake Superior. There she comes to grips with her past and learns that life, while messy has many good things to offer. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Superior.