Marsha's Reviews > Overprotected

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

May 14, 11

Recommended for: Young Adults
Read on May 14, 2011, read count: Once

I purchased "Overprotected" after reading the synopsis and all of the 4 and 5 stars reviews. Quite frankly, for me, it just did not live up to all of the hype. Ashlyn is a 17 year old socialite attending a private school in New York. When she was five she was kidnapped by her nanny who was stalking her father. Since that time her father has become overprotective hiring bodyguards for her. He does not allow her any freedom and she feels like a caged animal. Then enters Colin, a former family friend from her days in California. He is 3 years older than Ash and when they were younger, he set about teasing and making her life miserable. Now, he has been hired by her father as her bodyguard.

I had so many problems with this story. First, the cover. The man on this cover does not in any stretch of the imagination look like he is a day less than 30. Next, the author describes Ash as looking like Snow White but she has blond hair. I realize these are minor points but it certainly didn't help me love the book. The writing was okay, the character of Ash was milk toast and I just could not relate. Maybe since I was not born rich I have no understanding for the pretentiousness of it all. I just cannot believe that a teen (hormonally challenged) would allow any parent to treat her the way Ash does for such a long period of time without rebelling.

There was very little action, virtually no humor and the potential romance between a 17 year old and a 21 year old, I found disturbing. It must be just me because others loved this book and I just didn't!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overprotected.