Alison's Reviews > Breadcrumbs

Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

Sep 29, 11

Read in September, 2011

A literary fairy tale for well-read middle graders...as well as a magical story for the rest of us.

BREADCRUMBS is the story of Hazel and her best friend, Jack. They have been best friends for a long time, but Jack suddenly starts to change and they have a big fight. Soon after, he goes into the woods with The White Witch and Hazel sets off on a quest to save him and bring him home. She encounters good and evil in the woods...but nothing is as it seems.

"The woods does strange things to people."

There are numerous references to classic children's literature - both new and old - that make their way into BREADCRUMBS. Author Anne Ursu manages to sneak in everything from The Red Shoes and Chronicles of Narnia to When You Reach Me and Harry Potter. For the well-read middle grader, BREADCRUMBS is a homecoming, a celebration of these wonderful books as the characters, references, and legends become intertwined. For the rest of us, it still is a wonderful story.

As someone who has Narnia and Hogwarts fresh in my memory, I loved all of these little Easter Eggs sprinkled throughout the book. Some references were more literal than others - like the White Witch (a reference to The Snow Queen). Other references were more subtle, only noticed if paying close attention.

But what about the references I may have missed? While I have read most of the literature Ursu touches upon, I have not read them all. I still haven't read L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time for example. I couldn't help but worry at certain points - am I missing anything? This made me worry about the kids who have not yet read The Chronicles of Narnia or Alice in Wonderland. I can only think of one, maybe two, middle-grade readers that would truly appreciate all the nuances of BREADCRUMBS, but those who would not are still in for a treat.

BREADCRUMBS is wonderful. The writing is beautiful, the characters are interesting and flawed, and the storyline is captivating. My friends at Walden Pond Press told me it was one of their favorites, and now I see why!

The story is exciting, suspenseful, creepy, touching, sad and triumphant! The woods are a magical wonderland that are at once intriguing and frightening. It has been a long time since I have met a heroine quite like our brave Hazel - she is a dreamer full of imagination and possibility, yet no one in her world understands her. She pulls the readers into the book, because the readers understand her - we are dreamers, writers, dancers and artists just like her.

If you have a middle grade reader who enjoys fantasies and fairy tales, this would make a superb addition to his/her collection!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breadcrumbs.