Scott's Reviews > The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract

The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract by Bill James

May 12, 11

Read in May, 2011

This book is a very entertaining reference for baseball fans. Bill James has made his name through quantitative analysis of the game, looking for answers to questions that could not be answered, or had unsatisfying/incomplete answers, through "traditional" baseball statistics. James does not mean for this book to be definitive; when he ranks the 100 best players of all time at each position, he provides statistical reasoning, but also funny anecdotes and quotes about the players - just enough fodder for a good discussion or further inquiry. The book covers early baseball and the Negro Leagues, as well as the more statistically-friendly period from the early 1900's to the present. James intends the book to be picked up and browsed in small bits, not read from cover-to-cover. I'll keep this (and my son's Bill James 2011 Baseball Handbook) on the end table beside my chair, and I'll refer to it while watching or listening to games all season long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract.