Izzy's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Jul 14, 13

bookshelves: ya-paranormal-good

I can't believe I haven't written a review for this book. This used to be my all time favourite book ever. When I first read it I must have been around 12/13 which is only 5/6 years ago. During those years I must have read this book countless times and each time I loved everything about the world portrayed in the book, the characters with their distinct style and sarcastic wit and whatever else in this book that was appealing.

Nowadays, I honestly struggle to finish the book. I don't know if it's forever ruined for me by having read it too many times or what, but things that I never noticed before bug the crap out of me.

Clary, why you so dull? There is literally no hint of a personality in that girl at all apart from that she likes to draw. Seriously, South Park's Gingers Have No Souls episode could have been founded on Clary.

Insta-luv. If Clary is as dull and ugly as she makes herself out to be and Jace is so up himself there is absolutely no reason this romance should have happened. It all seemed so staged and predictable in the book now.

They all sound the same too. This book cracked me up so many times, but seriously, no one is that sarcastic all the time, let alone a group. It's like they aren't having a conversation but more a stand up comedy meeting called who can do the best one liner.

The upsides to the re-reading experience is that characters that I previously disregarded or disliked I now respect, namely Simon and Alec. You two retain a modicum of sanity in a world of melodramatic teen angst. Another upside is I still thought the idea of shadowhunters and the world Clare made was pretty kick ass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Izzy Liked

Cassandra Clare
“If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now.”

Cassandra Clare
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”

Cassandra Clare
“The meek may inherit the earth, but at the moment it belongs to the conceited. Like me.”

Cassandra Clare
“It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.”