Mrs. Badass's Reviews > Seduction & Scandal

Seduction & Scandal by Charlotte Featherstone

Took me SIX days to finish this novel when usually I can read a book in a few hours. There is nothing wrong with this book.

3.5/5

This is a well written novel. There are no glaring errors or things of that ilk. The characters were well written. They each had their own personalities and eccentricities. I actually liked all the characters themselves. For me though, this novel was rather slow. I was also a bit confused.

Our heroine wants to be a "Lady Novelist" So she is writing her own story, and telling it to her cousin Lucy for much of the novel and it focuses on the passages she writes, which seem to correlate to what is going on in the story, like she is a precog. Which, as far as I could tell (would have been cool!)she wasn't. It was used as a plot device and it drove me batty.

The hero, Jude Black (Oh, and BTW, I love his name *Jude* mmmm) Is broody, moody, and secretive. Charged with a secret Holy mission he no longer believes in, for he has lost his faith. I liked him. I like scary, Alpha men with a heart of gold and secret longing and passions :lol:

The writing is very lyrical, and often times too flowery. I think I needed to be in the right mood in order to fully appreciate this novel, and the writing style of Charlotte Featherstone. She writes well, it just wasn't for me at this moment.

The first 150 pages, were very slow for me. The action picks up at the end, but I would have liked to have had more action scenes. Also this novel is setup for a sequel, and many questions go un-answered. Which is the latest trend in authors I see. I really hate it.

Anyways, if you are a fan of lyrical prose, 18th century worlds, with a hint of Religious Artifacts that could doom the world if they are united together, then you will love this novel.

It's gothic, a bit dark, but also slow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduction & Scandal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm having the exact same problem - I don't consider this a BAD book. It just keeps failing to really hold my attention - and I love a good Gothic!