Kathryn's Reviews > These Is My Words

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in February, 2011

This book started off a little slow for me because it begins with a whole lot of tragedy, but because it was all characters we hardly knew yet, it didn't feel personal enough. I know it is her journal, but it would have helped me connect easier, to have a bit more description of the people in her life. This is not a problem later and we come to know the main characters just fine.
Sarah is a wonderful character and I love how she learns and grows without becoming perfect! The depiction of what life was like in the territories at that time was very authentic and made me grateful to live in the time I do know. It really makes you appreciate those who struggled to live and settle this country.
Some difficult rape and attempted rape scenarios are dealt with in the book. They are not graphic, but hard to read.
I have to admit that the end was a bit too predictable for me and kind of lessened the tension, but only for the last quarter of the book, and it was still enjoyable and interesting enough to keep me going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I actually liked the first part of the book better than the last because it felt more historically believable. I enjoyed the journal style it was written in, but it began to be too obviously fictional when the string of tragic events became unceasing. I could see the final tragic event coming as a result. I'm afraid I began to disconnect at that point. Ultimately, I liked the book, but couldn't really love it.