Sara's Reviews > The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories

The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett

May 17, 11

Read from May 12 to 16, 2011

I picked up this book after reading Cranford, and if you enjoy one, I think you will enjoy the other.

This one takes you through a months-long summer visit to a small seaside town in Maine during the 19th century. It is about as eventful as a summer vacation normally would be, there is no great suspense or dramatic action. The narrator is the author, a woman writer boarding with a local herbalist (and renting the small schoolhouse as an office). Visits, meals, walks, and boat trips make up most of the narrative. There is a lot of vivid detail, and if you are going to love this book, that is likely to be what you will love: being taken back in time for a good close look around a quiet traditional village community. No-one is rich, and most of the characters are women, most of them self-sufficient and highly competent in relationships, work, and boating. The significant male characters are misfits: a very shy but sweet old man living with his mother; a retired ship's captain possessed by visions of a surreal Arctic journey that may or may not have taken place; a widowed fisherman who has never gotten over the death of his adored wife.

It is a slow paced book, and I wanted to pick up a pencil and edit her in places, but it was worth my time, and many of the images and stories have been lingering in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories.