Trang's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Jun 10, 11

Read on June 09, 2011

About 3.5 stars

A fun, quirky read with a quick pace. As I was reading, I felt as if I was in a friendly competition with the author where I would mentally note inconsistencies and annoyances only to have them explained later on. Well played, well played.

Colin, the protagonist, reminds me of Holden Caulfield but without so much hypocrisy. (Sorry, Ha.) Plus the abundance of nerdy humor made his whiny self-absorbance (that part is, unfortunately, rather relatable as evident from this review) more bearable. (Sorry again, Ha.)

Overall, it's a good book that I would recommend to anyone looking for a light-hearted read with smart jokes.

Irrelevant to the story itself, previous readers of my copy of the book (borrowed from the local library) left sticky notes about nerdfighting on the last page of the story. Pretty awesome.

Self musing: I think I might have liked it more if I hadn't read it while also in the middle of reading Let the Great World Spin. The writing in An Abundance of Katherines is good but easily overshadowed by the eloquent prose of the other.

This book has footnotes, my literary weakness.

(I adding parenthetical thoughts.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.