Tiffany's Reviews > Almost Forever

Almost Forever by Deborah Raney

May 11, 11

Bryn Hennesey is a volunteer at the Grove Street Homeless Shelter in Hanover Falls. When the shelter catches on fire one night, killing five firefighters including Bryn’s husband Adam, Bryn is left with sadness and guilt. She is consumed with uncertainty, was she responsible? Did she blow the candle out? She must have, she is married to a firefighter, she knows better. Bryn feels it is her fault her husband is dead, because he wasn’t supposed to be on duty that night. Why did she ask him to work yet another shift for her own reasons? While the five surviving spouses try to deal with their grief, Bryn and Garrett, find themselves drawn together. They have both lost their beloved spouse and their friendship gives them comfort, until Bryn’s suppressed memory threatens it all, their friendship, her responsibility, faith and her future.

“Almost Forever” is a novel that explores honesty, faith, character, love and forgiveness. When Bryn Hennesey is confronted with uncertainty and fear surrounding the circumstances of the fire that led to five firefighter’s death, including her husband, she has a choice to make. She knows the “truth will set you free”, but does she have the faith to believe it? The entire community of Hanover Falls will never be the same after this tragic night, five spouses and their families are left to sort through their grief and test their faith when the truth of the fire is made known.

I really enjoyed this novel. The characters were easy to relate too and the plot was one that made you think, “How would I handle this?” It is never easy to admit when we are wrong, even if we did not mean to harm anyone. Bryn learns the hardest lesson in life, “the truth will set you free”. Even though she is not sure if freedom will be the end, she is able to heal and move on with her life, without the guilt of secrets. I found this book very easy to read. It was enjoyable and fresh. I didn’t want to put it down. I felt the need to know what happened next, where the story would go and how it would end. It brings about a realization that even the smallest mistake can change many lives and test our faith. Only our faith and trust in God can make everything right again.

I really enjoyed the personal flair this novel had at the beginning of each new chapter. It was an unexpected added touch to the book. Almost as if Byrn had written her story down for others to learn from. This novel is fresh, thought provoking, and enticing to read. It is the perfect book to read by a cozy fire with your favorite blanket and hot chocolate. I am looking forward to the rest of the books that this series will produce.

Reviewed for Reader Views and posted on http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Forever.