Heather's Reviews > American Gods

May 11, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, fantasy, novels
Read from May 11 to 19, 2011

Usually I like Neil Gaiman's morbid sense of humor and his ability to suggest the dark other-world lingering about the edges of our own. I have enjoyed several of his books, but this was just not the book for me.

From the scene at the end of the first chapter in which some kind of prostitute goddess sucks a man into her vagina to the autopsy scene in which an Egyptian-god-turned-medical-examiner cuts open a teenage girl who had been stabbed to death by her boyfriend, and all the tits in between, I felt like Gaiman had turned just a tad misogynist. Or he has just become obsessed with tits.

I can take the sexual content and some violence, but I'm learning that I have to draw the line at graphic mutilation of persons and/or animals, living or dead. Just not something that I want to read. So I stopped.

Plus, the story didn't really seem to be going anywhere. Clever turns of phrase, but "look at this guy Shadow he is working for some gods who are from the Old Countries but there are these new techno-gods who are newer and more awesomer and trying to crush the old gods and Shadow's dead wife is sort of alive and keeps saving him and look how much I know about rural Midwest America and look at all these tits and listen to my funny story about balls!" wasn't really keeping me interested. I get it. Americans have lost their roots and we don't know who we are. Technology is our new god.

Point taken. Time to move on.

If you also didn't like this book and it's the only Gaiman book you've read, I'd really encourage you to try Stardust (excellent), Neverwhere (good), or Smoke and Mirrors (short stories, also good).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.