Amy's Reviews > A Little Friendly Advice

A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian

Oct 06, 2011

Read from October 05 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

First and foremost the description on the jacket of A Little Friendly Advice does it no justice. I picked it up thinking I'd read a cute YA book to prepare myself for the emotional doozy I planned to read next. Not even close!

Our MC Ruby has major abandonment issues stemming from her parents split years ago. She's close to her BFF Beth who she's been friends with since before her dad left, but has a hard time letting other people in (boys included-She's never been kissed). Her dads unexpected arrival on her 16th birthday, after disappearing years ago, rocks her world testing her relationships and what she thought was the truth about why he left. There's an unexpected twist which I won't give away, but seriously I had problems with both her parents (though one was worse than the other) and the closure Ruby was given was lacking! We were left with a sense of healing for Ruby and I was glad because she deserves it.

The friendships between Ruby and her 3 friends was really secondary to the true theme of the book (come to think of it, there wasn't much advice being thrown around either. Who named this?) and their personalities, though underdeveloped were fun. There was a cute scene of them in a second hand store shopping for Halloween costumes.

Vivian is a gifted writer and delivered another solid thought provoking book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Friendly Advice.

Quotes Amy Liked

Siobhan Vivian
“I never want to be suspended in the limbo of non-decision again. It's like torturing yourself on purpose.”
Siobhan Vivian, A Little Friendly Advice

10/06/2011 page 50

message 1: by Fred (new) - added it

Fred Sounds good, I really liked Not That Kind of Girl

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I'm going to have to read that one soon.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

lol I think everyone got a a wrong impression by the title of this book, but agree with your review =)