Jennah Scott's Reviews > Brooklyn, Burning

Brooklyn, Burning by Steve Brezenoff

Jun 01, 11

Read in May, 2011

I can easily say it's one of the best books I've read this year. I love contemp, and I love it even more when an author takes a giant leap and tries something different. In Brooklyn,Burning the giant leap was the point of view. Imagine sitting down and listening to a story being told to you, that's what Kid is doing-telling the story of Scout. It's not in third person and it's not in first person. It's a mix and it works. I was immediately drawn into Kid. The life Kid lives isn't an easy one. After being kicked out of the house Kid learns the hard way what it's like to love and lose love- not mention how to live in the streets and survive.

Losing love is hard on Kid, but when Scout shows up things begin to look up. Kid finds that even though you've lost something, hurt can be healed and bonds can be forged. I love Scout. The passion you feel when reading about Kid and Scout is incredible. Seeing Scout through Kid's eyes is a different perspective, but Kid's words still allow you to paint your own picture.

There are other supporting characters that help build the world and the life of Kid. They teach Kid so much about life and living. Thanks to Fish, Kid gets to play the drums and make amends at home.

In my opinion, the best thing about this book is you get to paint the characters how you see them. It's hard for me to say who they are, because Steve has written this to be open to interpretation by the reader. I truly think he succeeded in writing a book that speaks to the reader the same way music speaks to the listener. The ending is happy. You will laugh, you may cry, I'm pretty sure you'll get mad...and maybe a little annoyed. But in the end you'll be happy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brooklyn, Burning.