Judy Tydeman's Reviews > Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos Montalván

May 11, 11

Read in May, 2011

In a world where our heroes seem to be mainly fictional characters in movies or video games, in this book, I have found two real life heroes. A warrior suffering physical, emotional and mental wounds--lost, searching for meaning, for healing, for recovery. And a dog with the soul of an Angel searching for the wounded man he was meant to save. The human hero of which I speak is Capt. Luis Carlos Montalván, a valiant, courageous soldier for our country for 17 years. The Canine hero, is Tuesday, a service dog that shares a bond of love and companionship with Luis that is stronger than steel, stronger than the damage and pain suffered by Capt Montalván from war.

What makes this book so unique, so inspiring, is testament to Capt. Montalván's wonderful writing style. His descriptions are so vivid, the reader is there with him, experiencing everything--the sights, the sounds, the smells, everything! Where there was devastation and destruction, I was there with him. Where there was the brutality of the betrayal of one's body and mind, the sense of hopelessness, of fear, of longing for what was--I was there with him. With the beauty of love's healing, when Tuesday and Capt Montalván found each other--I was there too.

His words are honest, and pure, Capt Montalvan doesn't hide behind hubris, nor does he sink into self pity in this book. He just speaks, from his heart, and brings a world to readers of which we are rarely aware--a fearsome suddenly alien world for soldiers coming back home--no longer themselves, no longer feeling normal--feeling lost, alone and afraid. Wounded. In pain. Visible and invisible scars that can lead to a path of self destruction from which Capt Montalván arose out of!!!

I can only say thank you to Capt. Montalván for his service to me and our country, thank you for writing this book and getting such an important message out, thank you for your courage and your integrity. And Tuesday, thank you and all Service Dogs and the angels who train them, for your souls of love and devotion.

This book needs to be a movie. It is incredible, and now I can say, that I believe in heroes again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until Tuesday.