Kristin's Reviews > Hollowmen

Hollowmen by Amanda Hocking

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: inexpensive-kindle-book, post-apocalyptic, dystopian, quick-easy-entertaining-reads
Recommended for: Hocking fans, dystopian fans, zombie lovers
Read from November 10 to 12, 2011

I don't love reading reviews with a bunch of spoilers, but it's tough with this book because just writing about what I thought of the story, I feel like I'll give something away. But I'll try my hardest not to. There were a lot of things about the story that really surprised me, in a good way, and it definitely kept me turning those pages, one after the other, dying to know what was going to happen next.

I think the biggest surprise is that the story doesn't continue from book one to book two in any way, shape or form like I expected it to. I expected to pick up this book and find Remy as a willing lab rat at the quarantine. To maybe find one or both of her love interests from book one trying to sneak in to break her out and make their escape. I was sure that she would be a little worse for the wear, like her brother was in the first book when they found him, ready to call it quits. But instead, you discover that she's basically been tortured for the last six months. Don't worry, that's not a spoiler. Hocking offers that up right away for you on page one.

Anyway, Hocking thankfully doesn't dwell on Remy's lab rat dilemma for long besides giving a little background of what you've missed in those months. Fairly quickly we see Remy back in action and discover most of the other characters from the first book missing in action with a whole new cast of characters taking their place. Usually this would have bothered me, but frankly, I wasn't absolutely in love with many of the characters that she focused on in the first book so it wasn't any great hardship to not have them in book two, but I was glad that she, at least, address what happened to each of them so you get some closure.

Remy is a bit frustrating as a character sometimes but she still kicks ass so it's easy to get over some of her flaws. And frankly it's what keeps me interested in these books. She's a survivor, she's got good instincts and frankly, she's like the energizer bunny. No matter what happens, she just keeps going and going and going.

I was hopeful that I'd like this book as much as the first and I'm happy (actually, I'm relieved) to say that I wasn't disappointed. Just as with the first book, Hocking keeps the story moving with a lot of action. There is barely a scene where something isn't happening or someone isn't eventually attacked by something.

Okay, so I can't help myself. I have one spoiler: (view spoiler) That, and the multiple typos, were probably the most bothersome bits of the book, but I'm willing to let that slide because overall, this was just a really, really enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollowmen.

11/11/2011

Mary [when the doctor was telling them about the discoveries that they made about Remy's blood, did anyone else wonder if they ever tried injecting Remy's blood directly into a zombie? If her blood supposedly killed or I guess froze the infection (whatever that means) in a petri dish, then wouldn't it in theory do the same if her blood was introduced in an infected person? But I didn't get the sense that they even tried that which was kind of annoying. (hide spoiler)] THIS!

I completely agree. That would have been my first experiment. Or injecting her blood in someone else and letting them get bit to see if it would immunize them. (Maybe they couldnt get close enough to a zombie to inject them and didn't want to risk a human...only reasons why they wouldn't try it imo)