Michelle 's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, own-book, science-fiction, young-adult, arc, read-2011, favorites
Read from July 30 to August 02, 2011

Posted on Book Chelle.

I have lots of words to describe this book. I also have a lot of love for this book. Mafi must have been reading my mind, because I believe that this was the book that I didn't realize I was looking for.

Let's face it, most of us read a lot and sometimes the words start to blend together. And then other times, the stories and characters start to blend together. But this story just puts itself on the board and staples itself up there. Shatter Me wants to leave a permanent etch in my memory, and I will not fight it.

I promise this will not have any spoilers.

The story begins in a way that surprises me. I have only read a handful of books where the story and the heroine grab me with the strength of her voice. Before I could even imagine her face, I knew who she was. Before I knew what was going on, I knew what she was feeling. Before I finished the first chapter, I felt connected in such a way that it brought out the same feelings out of me.

I'll be kind and let you in on a secret. The writing style is different. I felt that it further emphasized the heroine's state of mind throughout the book. To me, the book felt a little more real than other books I have read in the past. The emotions of the heroine felt raw and so much easier to place myself in her shoes.

It was wonderful.

The range of emotions mimicked the flow of words that Mafi put on the page. It was like Mafi was a conductor and the words her music. You will see, and then you will be mesmerized. Like a few other books that you may have read, throw the rules out of the window. They are not required when you read Mafi's Shatter Me. People, I felt raw emotions and cried. Mafi chooses her words wisely and effectively. You will see and then you will fall in love.
Words cannot fully express the praise that I have for Mafi and her talent as a writer. It comes as a surprise to me that this is her first book, because she seems like a seasoned veteran who can produce art like this with a wave of a hand.

Too much praise? Maybe, but I feel it's well deserved.

I am sorry that I am vague, but I do not want to spoil anything. Mark the publish date on your calendars and make sure you pick it up. You will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

07/30/2011 page 5
1.0% "How is it possible that I love this book after five pages?"
08/01/2011 page 128
36.0% "I already love Adam. The writing style is different, but I love how raw the main character's thoughts feel. The way this point of view is written, it's like how one would think. There is an unedited, unfiltered thought process that makes this story come to life more than any other book."
08/02/2011 page 205
58.0% "[spoiler] was able to [spoiler] and then she [spoiler]!! I'm really loving this book."
08/02/2011 page 217
62.0% ""I think I already love this kid.""
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lucy I'm reading this now, and I'm just getting into it. I agree with you that the writing is very different, but I'm interested to see where it's going.

Michelle I think that the intensity of that particular writing style goes with how the heroine is feeling. You'll see what I mean. It's amazing and adds that much more to the context of her voice.

Michelle Just finished it and I loved it. I think you're absolutely right that we read so many books and so many words and so many stories blend together but this book truly is set apart from all the rest. Thanks for the recommendation. Yet, now I'm cursing you because now I have to wait until next year for the next book!