Leslie's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by Lili St. Crow

Aug 16, 2011

liked it
Read on August 16, 2011

It took awhile for me to remember everything about this series, It's been awhile since I read the last book Jealousy. The more I read the more I remembered about Dru Anderson's world.
I think the story took awhile to start. I know that the idea was to focus on the fact that Dru was about to bloom ( become full svetocha) and even the rescue of Graves , but it took awhile to get to both things. The beginning of the book centered around Dru's feelings towards Christophe and her guilt of those feelings because of Graves.
Eventually things get down to business. She gets attacked by an unseen force at school and subsequently learns this hasn't been the first and she's being kept in the dark about them.
There's some betrayal, working with the enemy and some killing.
It will be interesting to read the next book to see if Serej is still around, I'm guessing yes. Also if Graves still has feelings for Dru after seeing her kill, and lastly if Christophe can explain his part (if he has one) in Graves' kidnapping.

Things that annoyed me about this book:
1. I think I'm getting tired of love triangles, can't there just be solid relationships anymore? Or someone breaks up and moves onto the next person? Either that or just make them all polyamorous. Dru's indecisiveness about who to choose, or just choosing whoever is in front of her at the moment is a little tiring.
2. Another thing concerning Dru's boys. There's a part in the book where Dru is thinking of how she can track Graves. She's wearing his coat his earring, feeling guilty about him being gone and then she makes out with Christophe.
3. Graves' reaction to seeing Dru kill all those vampires and drinking from Anna. Hopefully he gets over it because it was literally she kills them all or everyone dies.He also knew what she was turning into for a long time now, so his look of disgust is pretty ridiculous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

Quotes Leslie Liked

Lili St. Crow
“I hit the dance floor, wincing a little bit as the DJ looped feedback through the throbbing of a useless song about someone playing poker with his face or something.”

Lili St. Crow
“I mean, seriously, is a baby doll dress for the breastless? I don’t know.”

Lili St. Crow
“I would not put my little bird in the jaws of a trap without being near enough to make sure it wouldn't close on her.”

Lili St. Crow
“It was like my hormones had decided to stage a revolt whenever he got within a ten-foot radius.”

Lili St. Crow
“We ran and the ghost of Graves ran with us.”

Lili St. Crow
“Nat flung her arm over my shoulders and Alex leaned against my other side, the prohibition against touching gone for a few brief seconds as everyone collapsed together in a heap.
But I wasn't wulfen. I was still lonely.”

Lili St. Crow
“Anna never wanted to walk when she could be carried, your mother wanted to walk when she could fly, and you want to run before you can walk.”

Lili St. Crow
“Shanks moaned, stirring. “You broke my nuts”
So that was what my elbow had hit. “Sorry.” My voice cracked.”

Lili St. Crow
“…The first wave of vampires hit the stairs then, a cascade of tip-tapping feet and dark-spangled hatred.”