Laura's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky

2089479
May 13, 11

bookshelves: women, own-it, jiggery-pokery, first-reads
Read from May 11 to 13, 2011

This book was a FirstReads win! Thanks to the publisher for sending it.

First off, I must say that I'm not much of a chick-lit reader; however, this one defied my own expectations of the genre: the characters and plotline were complex and vividly drawn--as I read, I kept having to remind myself that the story, the characters, and the town were fiction. The book was eminently readable and very absorbing, and I blazed through it in just a couple days.

More than just a story about a pregnant teenage girl and her family and friends, it's about the choices we make and how we decide to make them; what makes a family (and what makes a family work); how to be a good professional and a good friend. The ultimate messages are strong: stay loyal to your friends, stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves and stand up to bullies. Most importantly, of course, think through all the possible consequences of your actions...especially if you're a 17-year-old (supposedly intelligent, responsible, successful) student who wants a baby.

This book also made me thankful to have grown up in a large suburb of a large city. I can't imagine having an entire town privy to every aspect of my history--especially if that town were as judgmental as the fictional one in this book sounds. Jeez.

A solid read, and I'm very glad to have won it! I probably wouldn't have been introduced to this author otherwise, and I plan on seeking out her other novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.