Bobbi Taniguchi's Reviews > The Poet of Tolstoy Park

The Poet of Tolstoy Park by Sonny Brewer

F 50x66
May 11, 11

Henry believes in God. He doesn't go to church. He's preparing to die of TB. He leaves his two grown sons and his best friend (a preacher, in whose church he hasn't stepped since his wife died), and moves far away, takes a stint in solitude, realizes that he's gone too far over the line into himself, and yet it has been good medicine too.

Lots of good insight into what really matters, in a time where you could take the time to find it out from your own soul.

I liked his book fast. I've done that myself for shorter times.

I wanted to be a hermit often, as I grew up.

I struggle with wanting to be alone enough to know myself and my relationship to God, and wanting to know all the people around me deeply, which takes time and energy. Still not to the place in age where he is; it is one of the stories that can't be adapted directly into the busy life of a stay at home mom. But still, a lot of good stuff. I loved it. Even when I didn't agree everywhere; it's the sincerity that carries it. The best that is in us is that sincerity, each different in each person's solitary universe.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet of Tolstoy Park.