Cynthia (aka Artemis)'s Reviews > Swept Away by a Kiss

May 17, 11

bookshelves: favorites, historical-romance, paul-marron-cover
Read from May 05 to 10, 2011, read count: Once, for now

Reviewed at Bitten By Paranormal Romance

Ms. Ashe has written a romance of epic proportions with her debut novel, SWEPT AWAY BY A KISS. She has gained another loyal fanatic follower with her story of Steven and Valerie. I knew I would be swept away by the time I read the first 25 pages. Ms. Ashe’s voice sang to me like a choir of angels.

Valerie is a fearless heroine. Yet she doubts any man could love her. Steven *sigh* is a swashbuckling but gallant popinjay. Because of Steven’s mixed heritage, he feels he will never be a part of polite society.

The story opens with Valerie returning home to England after a two year stay in Boston. She had been shipped off to America because of her scandalous ways. Before the ship gets underway, she spies a Jesuit priest.

Valerie narrowed her eyes against the gathering dusk. Her girlish imagination had once conjured up a mysterious figure just like this, a man of privilege and power who nevertheless bore a heathen’s heart past redemption.

But Valerie was no longer a girl, and the sight of this very real Jesuit’s broad shoulders stretching his mantle taut stirred in her an entirely womanly appreciation.

The journey of Valerie and Steven is magnificent. It takes you from the peril of the high seas to the intrigue of the parlors of the ton. Their passion sizzles as they deny and succumb to their desires. A few of the scenes are so hot, you will feel yourself melting! Ms. Ashe has written beautiful, longing lust. All of this and more while being entangled with pirates, Ladies and Lords, secret identities, and mistruths during the Christmas season.

SWEPT AWAY BY A KISS is reminiscent of one of my favorite movies, THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL. Be sure to read the Author’s Note at the end of the book. You will find the information invaluable. As for me, this is surely a keeper. I’m off to the bookstore: CAPTURED BY A ROGUE LORD made its debut on March 29, and I have two books that I need to add to my library! Oh yeah – cover alert with Paul Marron!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swept Away by a Kiss.