Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl)'s Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, bir-2011, glbt, light-humor, 2011-release, own, signed-copy
Read from June 01 to 03, 2011

Zany, wacky, silly, hilarious, empowering, awesome. All adjectives that can describe Libba Bray's satire on modern beauty stereotypes and women's roles in today's society as well as consumerism, racism, LGBT issues, and politics. This is a perfect book for fans of Drop Dead Gorgeous, Miss Congeniality, and Legally Blonde (AKA me).

I really enjoyed all of the girls on the island and their unique personalities. What I liked was how each girl started off with their own preconceived notions, their own mold that they were trying to stuff themselves into (in particular Mary Lou was amazing). As the book progressed they learn how to let go of society's demands and expectations of them and to become the girls that they truly are. I think this is a lovely message for the book and I really enjoyed the delivery.

The humor in this book is pretty out there, I will admit. I consider my sense of humor to be pretty dry, so this over the top slap stick humor was a little too much for me at times. Other times this humor was right on point and had some very poignant undertones. Beauty Queens has varying levels of humor, so don't be surprised if you find yourself simultaneously rolling your eyes and laughing out loud.

Overall Beauty Queens is a very funny satire that comments on beauty and how we try and contain it and give it structure and definition instead of letting it be the wild exciting thing it is. While the humor doesn't always hit the mark for me, when it's on it's SO ON and speaks truly about sexuality and growing up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

06/01/2011 page 89