Jennifer Mcfarlane's Reviews > How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books

How the Heather Looks by Joan Bodger

2083073
May 11, 2011

Read from June 14 to August 02, 2012

Lovely, enchanting book about a family retracing the roots of stories and illustrations from famous British Children's Literature. My favorite quote:
"T.H. White was all his life concerned with the clash of Might and Right, the relationship of Big and Little. One might say that this is the central them of English children's literature; indeed, of English history. It is well to remember that Anne Frank was held, and finally crushed, by men who had never known- or had lost- all sense of proportion. If such a sense -a common sense- is created through play, then we must learn to respect play's importance and give it free rein."
I've recently come across a recently-published book called Are We Nearly There Yet: A Family's 8000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain, so I'm curious to compare the experiences of a traveling family in the 50's to this one in the 21st century :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Heather Looks.