Laura's Reviews > Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

May 28, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from May 11 to 15, 2011

I was encouraged by the lovely Scholastic people on twitter and a few of my other Twitter people that I should read this book because I’d love it and I was keen to get a copy and then I heard about the re-issues of the books with new (and drool worthy) covers so I held off till they were released in the UK at the beginning of this year and got the lovely black and red cover edition. Sadly it then sat on the To Be Read pile since then but I just picked it up and read the whole thing in 2 days because it was so addictive that I couldn’t put it down. I literally sat with my stomach rumbling for my dinner but refused to get up and cook anything until i reached the end of a chapter and even then i just grabbed a sandwich because it meant I could eat and read at the same time!

Lament is the story of Dee, a talented harpist in high school, Luke, the mystery flutist that appears in her life to duet with her and in turn make her believe in herself and her talents, James, Dee’s best friend and her ever funny partner in crime and Dee’s family as they become tangled in the world of Them. Faeries. Just your average troubles for a teenager girl that is just looking to have her own life, learn to drive, perform a show without throwing up and have a boyfriend if she can.

I was a bit fearful about reading another series by Maggie just because I’m such a big fan of her other series that I was almost worried that this wouldn’t be as good or would make me disappointed that Lament wasn’t Shiver or Linger in style. It’s at this point that you find the difference between great writers and writers that have written a great story. Great writers will suck you into any story they write to the point that you forget everything else; their characters in other works and even that you were ever hesitant in the first place.

At first I was a tad concerned at how quickly Dee seemed to be falling head over heels for Luke. If my friend was acting like that after meeting a total stranger, no matter how hot or an excellent flute player, I would have slapped some sense into her but I must admit; I feel for him too. There’s something about a mysterious hero type that makes a girl fawn all about the place. He’s the white knight on the steed come to save the princess even if the princess could probably give him a run for his money if she wanted. James on the other hand isn’t just a sidekick for Dee. He’s funny and clever in a way a nice balance to Dee because he has a lighter approach to life whereas she seems very concerned and on edge. It’s not until Luke comes onto the scene that we see her relax more and even then James is that sparkling gem that kept me chuckling no matter how scary or drama fuelled the story became.

The realism in the story is, I believe, due to the historical research in folklore and it’s clear to see that there is a real love for this subject matter as well as the music. Key pieces and the skills and techniques used for the instruments haven’t been by passed and though I wouldn’t know the front from the back of a harp, having these kinds of details re-enforces the believability in the story. Maggie Stiefvater’s has made a well crafted world of faeries in this small American town with its own ice cream parlour and greasy spoon restaurant, the Sticky Pig (which sounds amazing).

Lament is beyond doubt a charming read and is an excellent addition to any YA fans bookshelf. It has all the elements of a mesmerizing paranormal romance but some really unique factors, particularly the eye for detail in key moments, to validate the characters and their interests. I make no claims to know the difference between folk songs or classical pieces but Maggie Stiefvater never shy’s away from including these details; she doesn’t dumb down her stories in the least and for this I am grateful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.

05/12/2011 page 119
37.0% "Really good in an addict and toxic way. Don't worry; it means I like it :-)"
05/15/2011 page 288
88.0% "Oh Maggie S! Why do u write such amazing books that I can't put down. I'm so hungry but can't stop to make lunch!"