Alicia's Reviews > Magic Burns

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, shapeshifters, gods-goddesses, demons, own-kindle-amazon, places-i-know
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

Four stars may be a tad bit generous for this one. I definitely give it more than three stars. And I liked it significantly more than I liked Magic Bites, so I think that four stars reflects my feelings about this book more than three stars would.

I was bored with the first 30% or so of this book. I suspect that the authorship team believes that action scenes create interest. In my opinion, variety creates interest more than back-to-back-to-back action scenes. The first 30% of the book was all action, and I was bored. Then, the book slowed down a bit, and I got to meet the characters, and the issues facing the characters came into focus. Only then did I begin to care what happened to the characters.

Kate had more personality in Magic Burns than she did in Magic Bites. At times, her internal and external dialogues were witty. Amusingly, she displayed some familiarity with pop culture. She made jokes about Rambo and other pop culture references that were lost on other characters, which I found to be quite funny. In the first book, I failed to connect with Kate, in part because the authors went out of their way to make Kate super-duper mysterious. I cannot connect to a character whom I don't know. Although Kate's origins remained a mystery in Magic Burns, I was able to get to know her personality through her dialogue and through some tough decisions that she made. I liked her much better in this book.

On a side note: I was disappointed with an inconsistency that I identified. At some point, Kate removes all of her weapons in order to perform a bit of magic. Before she is reunited with her weapons, there is a reference about her sword smoking (which it generally does when Kate is pissed off). Wrong! Her sword is nowhere on the premises. This showed negligence on the authors' and editors' parts, but it did not impact the story at all, as Kate made no attempt to use the sword while it was somewhere else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Burns.

07/09/2011
10.0% "So far, so good. I enjoyed the beginning of the first book too, but by the end, I wasn't buying it. So we'll see how this develops . . ."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kenya Wright and u will not read it eventually you will read it NEXT!!

Kenya Wright wow pretty good insight with the sword thing! i hope ur like this when u read my book!