Siria's Reviews > The Truce at Bakura

The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers

Jun 05, 07

bookshelves: 20th-century, american-fiction, scifi
Read in July, 2005

Yes, I know, another SW:EU novel. But they're a special brand of crack, and it's fun revisiting the things I was so thoroughly addicted to in 1996/97. This is probably one of, if not the best, novel which has been written in the Star Wars extended universe. Like all the rest of the EU novels, this is really just glorified fanfiction, a fictional romp through the history which the films don't cover; however, it's one of the better examples of the genre. The storyline rollicks along, the characterisation is solid, and the villains suitably boo-hissable. Every now and then, there are a few uses of metaphor and simile which made me wince (the planet hung in space like a cloud-veiled turquoise?), but on the whole it's much, much better than the average Star Wars novel.

The one place where Tyers really helps elevate the novel above the ordinary is the fact that she actually has her characters think, behave and feel in ways that are psychologically believable. Leia has huge problems with Vader being her father, while Luke's coming to terms with the fact that he's now the only Jedi in the galaxy (well, as far as he knows, plot devices in later devices notwithstanding, etc). Tyers even works some side-effects from Luke's duel with the emperor at the end of RotJ (because you know those lightning bolts couldn't have been good for Luke's health.

On the whole, it's the novel version of a popcorn movie - fun but largely forgettable, and probably not worth getting if you don't have at least a strong liking for the characters in the first place.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truce at Bakura.

Hailey It so is a 'special brand of crack' and I think I'm addicted. XD