Elisabeth's Reviews > Breathing Room

Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: audio, 2011, contemporary-romance
Recommended to Elisabeth by: SEP glom
Read from May 11 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: once

SEP's audio books are lovely to listen to. This one was narrated by Kate Flemming and I can see why she was so beloved by Seppies - her range of voices is astounding. The book itself was very funny in parts and audio lends itself very well to the humour but I found the book a little inconsistent - flashes of brilliance but the pay off wasn't as sweet for me as Call Me Irresistible or Ain't she sweet which are my favourites. Notwithstanding that, SEP's books really resonate with me and I think it is impossible for this woman to write a lousy book.

The actual review: Ren Gage is a fantastic hero, extremely sexy, funny and quite in tune with his feelings, Isabel was an interesting character and while I couldn't understand her actions at times it was all in keeping with her occupation and background - the characterization was extremely well done.
The story takes place in Tuscany and the landscape, smells and moods were very evocative - I do suddenly have an urge to see Tuscany. - The descriptions of food were mouthwatering.
There's a subplot running throughout about a missing statue in the village, I have read some reviews which think this takes away from the love story between the main couple which may actually be true but I found the plot interesting enough to overlook this - also I believe that becos Isabel and Ren are so adult and relatively open about themselves the problems between them seem easier to overcome than other couples.

The secondary cast is very well done - particularly the children.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathing Room.

05/13/2011 "I'm still on the part that's in excerpt form on SEP's site so nothing new yet."
05/24/2011 "Nice friendship developing between Isabel and Ren and I am curious as to what is going on with the townspeople"