Mrs. Missive's Reviews > Hunted by the Others

Hunted by the Others by Jess Haines

May 17, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from May 11 to 17, 2011 first I was unsure if I was liking this book or not. This is a good chunk of book. (300ish pages in DTB) The author is building an entirely new world. We get a LOT of information. And the author gives us a ton of details about this new world and how all of the "others" (others=any non-human being) came to be known by the general public.

We get a PI who is trying to keep her struggling business afloat, by taking a job from a Mage (read witch) for big freakin' money. She has to try stealing something, she doesn't know what it is, from a vampire. Of course he's a wealthy hot vampire. And our heroine immediately says she will never date a vampire. Which means at some point she definitely will. But don't get your smutty hopes up for this book.

We don't have a romance here. This is Urban Fantasy. Lots of action, (no you dirty birds...I mean fights, weapons, and furry creatures.) lots of information, and no smexin. NONE. Yeah I was bummin'. But I tell you what. We are left wondering where our heroine will go now. Will she date the werewolf? Will she keep doing investigations? Will she have to pay for the room she blew up? Will she play more tonsil hockey with the smexy vampire? Will she talk to her belt more? Will she make herself in a badass vampire assassin for the White Hat nutjobs?

If you haven't read this, you have no idea what I am talking about but let me tell you...the bottom line is after reading this I want to know the answers to those questions. Which means I want to read on. Which means the author did her job.

3 solid stars for me. This felt like a lot of information at the time I was reading it. And some of the scenes dragged for me, but when an author has build a world for what appears to be the start of an epic story, this is how I would expect book one to read.

But seriously...a talking belt. You gotta love accessories that you can chat with.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted by the Others.

05/14/2011 page 64
18.0% "Heroine just declared that she will "never" get involved with a vampire...pretty much ensuring that she will."