Rhiannon's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: lady-writer, read-in-2011, ya-pretend-times, yr-family-is-fcked, clubbies, unfinished-series, eeek-zombies, this-boys-life, best-debuts, dont-forget-to-buy-this-someday
Recommended to Rhiannon by: Jessica
Recommended for: Anyone who likes fun things. Do you like fun?
Read from May 30 to June 01, 2011

To describe a novel teeming with werewolves, shape-shifters, and other supernatural beings lurking in the shadows of our modern cities, playing by their own rules, and heading secret councils... Is to unfortunately describe an overdone trend that is seriously making me YAWN. This genre, in its essence, is supposed to excite and thrill. Fairies and vampires? Hybrid wolf-people? Immortality? Mutant healing abilities? These are elements of the strange and impossible. Instead, this type of story is being done-to-(un?)death, causing the genre to collapse under the weight of millions of writhing, desperate teenage girls looking for their next Cullen-fix.

So, move over Stephenie Meyer and third-rate paranormal-romanciers. Enter Lish McBride - she'll put an end to your melodrama. Quick warning: The story is not really original. Meh! I feel like this book was not influenced by the slew of sparkly purple-and-black Twilight-and-friends that are crowding up the urban fantasy genre. Rather than dreaming of all the ways one could consummate hot-vampire-sex, and then creating a shoddy book series out of the wet-dream, Lish McBride steps away from that scene, and her influences peek-out from a more sophisticated, and snarky, perspective. She creates characters, and her characters are far less like Mary Sues and Gary Stus. And so far, she's written a book that seems cemented against inconsistencies, which has the ideal pace and scope to offer the hope of a great series.

This book reminds me of Neil Gaiman (a little American Gods, more Anansi Boys, a touch of Good Omens), Alan Ball's True Blood renditions of the Sookie Stackhouse story, the way-too-short-lived (oh!) TV show Dead Like Me (waffles!), a touch of Nick Hornby... you know, AWESOME things.

The author clearly enjoys 1) good music 2) irony 3) sensitive man-boys 4) ya lit. I can get behind that!

This book offers 1) an escape from the boring, post-adolescent world of full-time crap-jobs 2) vegetarians contemplating the ethics of blood sacrifice 3) fresh, angry little lawn gnomes with tiny, pointy shovel-weapons 4) sexually-harassing 70-year-old witch neighbors 5) thankfully-not-too-graphic cage sex 6) zombie pandas 7) pantless satyrs 8) a talking cat, like the one in Sabrina The Teenage Witch.

So, this novel was fun, fun, fun.

Ladies, beware: McBride employs the "Women in Refrigerators" trope early on in the book. (someone explains it better than I can here: Tropes Vs. Women). However, the great thing about Lish McBride is (view spoiler). Nice save!

Waiting for more! I think I have to wait a whole frickin year for the next one! Can someone do something about that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.

05/30/2011 page 68
show 1 hidden update…

Rhiannon I feel like I want to give this book 5 stars! So great! But, I may be poisoned by all the polygamy-books I've been reading lately into thinking this is the BEST BOOK EVER by comparison! In any case, I wish I could at least give it 4.5 stars.