Lisa's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: penguin

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

Legend grabbed and dangled me over the edge of a twenty-storey building me by my feet. With a fast-paced plot filled with intoxicating drama, shocking mystery and deceit, you'll fall in love with everything that is Legend and will surely be placing yet another book on your favourites shelf. While Day was brought up in a "slum" district and has been labelled a criminal by the government, June Iparis attends the best university in the country at only fifteen and has successfully guaranteed herself assignment into the military thanks to her perfect Trial score, something only she has ever managed to accomplish. When Day breaks into a guarded facility for plague medicine to cure his brother, he is accused of murdering a soldier named Metias, someone he swore he only wounded in the shoulder in self-defense. On a mission to avenge her brother's death and prove herself by finding the notoriously unidentified Day, June vows to track him down and undo the boy no matter what it takes. Whether by means of deception or seduction, she'll make him pay. Little did she think that love would ever factor into the equation…nor that the Republic would be keeping such dark secrets…

Day and June are characters that will astound you with their depth and thorough characterisation. Before their inevitable union as a couple, we get to know them as opposing individuals via the dual narration. We get insightful looks into their backgrounds and personalities, readying ourselves for the explosive first meeting that'll set off an unbelievable chain of events. Even though June is one of the brightest people in the country, she has a naughty streak. She's funny at the most inappropriate times and isn't afraid to put herself at risk, whether the situation calls for it or not. You'll fall in love with her, as well as the kind-hearted and intelligent Day, and will be absolutely delighted as you watch them fall in love against their will. As we get to know both more and more, we realise that maybe they aren't so different after all and that lies have kept them apart all this time.

Composed of a physical test, written test and interview, the Trial determines your future. Unlike June, Day failed his Trial and was sentenced to work in the outer districts. As the book progresses, we discover what really happened and continuously gape in disbelief as shocking secret after shocking secret is revealed. The world of the Republic is carefully detailed and is suffocating in comparison to the Colonies. The neighbouring nations are at war with each other and their differences reach a deadly crescendo by the end of the book. As much as this is a personal journey for Day and June, it is as much a powerful dystopian that'll knock you off your feet. Things take many turns for the worse throughout Legend and you'll be gripping onto the edge of your seats as the unthinkable keeps occuring.

Join the rest of Legend's adoring fans as they roar in happiness and outrage. With two equally strong, skilled and intelligent protagonists, you'll be in power-couple overload and overwhelmed by the intense connection you have with them. Addicting and smartly crafted, Lu's brilliantly written futuristic thriller will tangle you in its intricate threads of mystery, leaving your mind exercised and begging for more. Just like me, you won't be able to wait patiently for the sequel with so many newly revealed secrets to explore!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

Isabel I agree, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'm so anxious for the sequel! I loved Day as a character, but even though June changed for the better throughout the book, I didn't think she was as interesting, for some reason.

Lisa Oh that's a shame! I guess she isn't as "obviously interesting" as Day is but I think her good parts come from how her opinions are changing so rapidly - her life's basically taking a tumble and she's starting from scratch :) But yeah, looking forward to the sequel!!