Jeff Williams's Reviews > Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul

Wild at Heart by John Eldredge

May 11, 2011

Often times when reading Christian books I hit a spot where I have to "eat the meat and spit out the bones." There were a few of those moments in this book, but overall? Loved it.

I first heard of it from a former professor and the background story to why I wanted to read Wild at Heart is worth mentioning. I was helping paint the professor's house for some cash over the summer. In the middle of a hot August afternoon I attempted to kill silence by asking, at the peak of my a.d.d., the famous question from the movie "Fight Club." I asked, "If you could fight any person from all of history, who would you pick?"

Without hesitating my professor answered, "There was a kid who used to pick on me in 6th and 7th grade. He used to beat me up almost every day. I'd fight that kid."

Taken aback, I had to ask for clarification, "Wait, you're telling me, as a grown man, you'd go back and beat up a kid? You wouldn't face him as an adult?" Unflinching the professor said, "Well, I may have fought back as a kid, but I was always taught to turn the other cheek, and it emasculated me. Made me feel like less of a boy. That kid kind of took that from me. So yeah, I guess if I had to do it as an adult, I would. As a kid, though, I'd still fight him. Either way, I would like to go back and kick that kid's butt."

I still kind of laugh at the complete honesty of this good friend and mentor. He went on to tell me how so many Christian young men are taught to turn the other cheek and then never stand up for themselves. How this book helped set him free from the bondage he'd been put in by years of being told to be a doormat.

I checked out the book and saw exactly what he meant. I also feel like this book prepared me for fatherhood, being a better husband, and overall, being a better man. Not just a Christian man, but a better man.

I highly recommend this for every human male.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild at Heart.

02/13/2016 marked as: read