Clint Rizzo's Reviews > Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: wish-list
Read from June 07 to 16, 2011

This book is superbly written; a story both original and disturbing in its conception and immensely rich in its execution. The language is exquisite; Suskind's use of sensorial imagery makes you actually smell what he is describing and the effect is chilling and unique. The author makes no effort to make the reader like the insane protagonist, yet the narrator's running commentary of Grenouille's motivations and the pitfalls of human nature make his eventual crimes and demise a tragic, if not touching, conclusion.
A novel that is fresh in its unique plot and characterizations, uncompromising in its descriptions and perhaps even worthy of the term "genius".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfume.

Quotes Clint Liked

Patrick Süskind
“Odors have a power of persuasion stronger than that of words, appearances, emotions, or will. The persuasive power of an odor cannot be fended off, it enters into us like breath into our lungs, it fills us up, imbues us totally. There is no remedy for it.”

Patrick Süskind
“He who ruled scent ruled the hearts of men.”

Patrick Süskind
“He possessed the power. He held it in his hand. A power stronger than the power of money or the power of terror or the power of death: the invincible power to command the love of mankind. There was only one thing that power could not do: it could not make him able to smell himself.”

06/08/2011 page 28