Sue Herbert's Reviews > The Nine Tailors

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers

F 50x66
May 11, 2011

Read in December, 2010

I read all the Lord Peter Whimsey stories years ago and recently decided to treat myself to a re-read. I chose The Nine Tailors for my first, because I had a vivid memory of it being atmospheric, set as it is, in the fens in mid winter. It would give the game away to tell you what the title means. On re reading it, the pace felt slow and it took me a while to get back into it. Perhaps I also needed to go back to the beginning, in order to fully appreciate the slow burning relationship between Lord Peter and Harriet Vane. But by the time we got to the discovery of a second corpse, I was into the atmoshere of the story, only to have it spoilt but suddenly remembering what the explanation of the mystery is! Perhaps re reading detective stories is not quite such a good idea! If you are used to pacier modern novels, you may find Dorothy L Sayers tales a bit staid, but her use of language is lovely, and the characters stand the test of time, despite being firmly rooted in a lost time where a gentleman has a gentleman's gentleman and a lady who has had a lover, is considered very racy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nine Tailors.