Auntee's Reviews > Riding the Storm

Riding the Storm by Sydney Croft

Nov 05, 08

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, men-in-uniform, paranormal-romance
Recommended for: Fans of paranormal erotic romance
Read in November, 2008

I'm trying to get my thoughts together about this book and it's a little difficult. There's lots to enjoy about this book--first, it has a very original storyline about Remy, an ex-Navy SEAL who has a gift/curse of being able to control the weather but the weather also controls his libido. Apparently, when a storm is brewing, Remy's got to have sex, and often. Second, it starts out with a bang--immediate action and lots and lots and lots of hot, down and dirty (literally) hot sex (in the mud, on the floor, outside in the rain, etc.)between Remy and parameteorologist Haley, the heroine who is sent by her agency to study him. Third, there's an exciting battle between the agency that Haley works for (ACRO, which stands for Agency of Covert Rare Operatives), who want to recruit Remy and use his powers for the good of the country, versus the bad guys of a rival agency who want to use him to control and possibly destroy the country.

This is not an easy read. There's lots to digest and keep track of, especially if you're not familiar with the paranormal world of mediums, psychics, telekinesis, ghost hunters, etc. Lots of characters are introduced, each with their own special paranormal powers, and I felt like I needed a scorecard at times to keep track of them. However, if you stick with it, you'll be rewarded. Although things get a little bit violent toward the end, it does get very exciting. And there's plenty of sex and romance to keep you entertained in between the action scenes!

I loved Remy and Haley together. I felt bad for the life Remy had led--he really felt like an outcast his whole life because of his special 'gift' and he desperately needed someone to love and to be loved. Haley was the same--she never felt the love and affection from her parents, never felt like she fit in anywhere until she joined ACRO, and wasn't sure if she could even 'do' love. I was glad that these two characters connected so well, not only sexually but emotionally. And I especially loved when Remy slipped in a little Cajun French when he was loving Haley--very sexy!

Since this was the first book in the series, there was a little bit of a set-up of the series which I've come to expect, and at times I felt a little overwhelmed with all the characters introduced. But, every character had something unique and exciting about them, and I look forward to reading their individual stories. If you enjoy a paranormal with an unusual premise, lots of erotic sex-- including a brief m/m scene-- and plenty of action, then I doubt that you'd be disappointed in "Riding the Storm".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding the Storm.

11/02/2008 page 1
11/02/2008 page 32
9.79% "Whew...this one starts out with a bang..."
11/03/2008 page 100
30.58% "Lots to keep track of amongst all the sexual activity..."
11/04/2008 page 193
59.02% "Hard to find a place to put in down...hot, hot, hot..."
11/04/2008 page 259
79.2% "I need a scorecard to keep up with all the 'players' and their special abilities..."
11/05/2008 page 327
100.0% "Review to come..."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn Oh my, this sounds really good. Looking forward to your updates and review. ;-)

Auntee This one's been sitting in the mountain forever, I thought I'd give it a shot!

Kathrynn No Review? Boo-hoo

Auntee As soon as I think of what I want to say...:)

Kathrynn Nice. I'm going to pick this one up. Super that it is book 1 in a series, so I don't have a bunch to read first. Yeah!

Heather Glad you liked this one Auntee!! I cant wait for you to read the 3rd book! Its really hot! ;D

H

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Hi Auntee. I am reading this book at the moment and am really struggling which is dissappointing as I was expecting a lot especially as one of the writers Larissa Ione!I did read your review before getting the book so thought it might be a bit difficult to read but as it was written by Ione I thought I would get it but I need a push.....

Please tell me again that it is worth reading and to continue with the series I am on the verge of abandoning the book!!

Auntee Hi Dee. As I recall this wasn't an easy read--lots of setup for the series and a ton of things to keep track of. Once I stopped worrying about trying to remember everything, things sort of fell into place and it became an easier read. I do remember the next couple of books in the series moved along more quickly (and I liked them better). So if you can hang in there and push thru this one...?

message 4: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Hi and thanks. I think that I will try and suck it up and push on and stop finding excuses not to read when normally I would take up on the opportunity to get in a few chapters. I think what makes it harder to get on with is that although it falls into the Paranormal it is not quite what I am used to in that genre. I will have to say though at this point I am really not sure I will be rushing to read the rest of the series which is a shame as I am a big fan of Ione but then I could change my mind once I get to the end of the book ha ha.

Auntee Good luck Dee! But I wouldn't stress over it--maybe it's just not for you. I hate to abandon books half way thru too but I'm trying to get over the guilt I feel when I give up on a book. Life's too short and there are plenty of books on the TBR pile...:)

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I am the same as you - I hate abandoning books and feel like I have to finish them and it is very rare that I do give up. Anyway I have finally finished it and once I got to a point I actually started enjoying it so will probably go on to read the others at some point ha ha - now to search by TBR pile and decide what to read next :)

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Auntee Good for you Dee, I'm glad you stuck with it!:)