M.J. Fiori's Reviews > The Troubled Man

May 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: krimi-mystery-thriller-procedural, actually-reviewed
Read in May, 2011

I'm disappointed. But am I disappointed because mysteries are left mysterious as things come to an end? Because here we have the unknowable and the inevitable? Because Henning has killed some darlings and the dreaded thing has happened?

Of course, the experience of reading a Mankell/Wallender book is this: first thinking how very simple and flimsy, how superficial and impersonal; then being reeled in a bit; then confusion and murkiness and the grand desire for closure, the reading ahead, the racing to finish, to FIND OUT; then, in the end, looking back, thinking that there really wasn't much there at all. And yet I have kept reading each time, each new addition to this series. How to properly leave our hero behind and take up new pursuits? We don't want Kurt Wallender to go down, to give up or admit defeat. Do we want him to die in battle, like a good Beowulf figure? Yes and no. We don't want our Wallender defeated by life OR the case. There is no proper answer, and no ending ends well, I suppose. There is no satisfying in this situation, and so I will give Henning the victory here. Bravo and farewell.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.