Wesley's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

May 10, 2011

bookshelves: solo_favorites
Read from June 18 to 23, 2011

This was in no way what I expected. Seriously, I still can't believe this was written in 1931 and published only 1 year later. The context and language used could be justified as written today. Huxley had a fear of a nation under the mystic and power of the feelies. I found this hilarious, think about how TV's affect us today. Such as shopping habits, political relevance, food etc. Now I know if it wasn't TV you could substitute radio, internet or film but take all of that into affect to, count any of it. Also think not of the people that recognize this think of the millions that don't and live life zone into this mess. It's incredible.

Now the setup was fascinating but I have to be honest in that I liked the book until "The Savage" came in. Then I reallllllly started to enjoy the crap out of it. I figured at some point that a trivial or challenging factor to the authority presented would come into affect. As the book started closing I didn't think their was enough time for "The Savage" to change the ways or save the world so to speak so I was curious to how it would end. I won't suggest any spoilers but the 2nd the car of the 3 Delta's saw him at the top of the hill with the whip I knew what was coming. The gawking and interest of pain that would draw crowds to someone whom wants to be left alone could only end in one way. That is the feet hanging and turning to the east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest, north, then back the other way. Which is probably one of the most intense descriptions of what happened I've ever heard.

A tip would be that your mind has to be ready for this. You have to go in with open ears and eyes. Not a good book to squeeze into a busy schedule. I think I might re-read it this winter when things get really slow. I'd say twice will be pushing it though. I think the 2nd time will be good in the fact that the first time splashed you with water and the 2nd will really let the details soak in. If you enjoyed 1984 you'll probably like this.

*I figured this book has to have been banned 10 ways to Sunday but I found it interesting that on the books Wikipedia page that a notable ban in 1980 in Miller, Missouri took place. I live about 20 mins from Miller, to funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

06/22/2011
06/23/2011
50.0% "Not what i expected but nifty so far. Can't believe how this was written so long ago."
06/24/2011