Teri's Reviews > Shadowcry

Shadowcry by Jenna Burtenshaw

May 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011-release, arc, bookitforward, for-review
Read in May, 2011

Shadowcry is an amazingly fresh new read that will be released this year by author Jenna Burtenshaw.
What I find so amazing in this book is that the concept of the storyline is like none other that I have read yet this year, and the characters are so secretive and yet so amazing.

Shadowcry takes us into a future that is dark and riddled with power and corruption. The populous is in a state of repressed fear from the tyranny of the capitol city. Sending teams of wardens out to collect workers from the main population the city basically creates a constant flow of slavery while all the time "harvesting" the select few of the Skilled, people with Talent, hidden among them. The Skilled are people with special inborn talents that the leaders of the cities want to use and produce as weapons towards their constant wars with each other.

The story centers around our main character, Kate Winters, and the abrupt introduction to her talent during a harvesting that changes her world forever. We are introduced to several amazing characters throughout the story as Kate finds her way through her past and into her growing powers and their implications in the use towards the wardens' plans.

One of the secondary characters that I was fascinated with was Silas Dane. Carrying a heavy curse brought about from a lifetime of suffering and slavey and magical testing Silas really carried the story for me. His dialog, and personal motive justification, and application was just a great and integral part to the story.
I loved Silas as a character and with the way he worked, it really added that extra element that made the book so much more impactful for me to read.

If you are looking for a book that carries many amazing elements and that has a spectacular plot with many twists and turns, then Shadowcry will be a fantastic read. Dystopian intrigue and action, yep. A hint of romance, gotcha. But most of all if you are looking for something that carries many of the elements in YA and then a lot more and a variety of greatness, then I encourage you to pick up Shadowcry. You will not be disappointed.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowcry.