Crys Harris's Reviews > Nowhere Ranch

Nowhere Ranch by Heidi Cullinan

May 10, 2011

Read in May, 2011

10 stars.
I am a big fan of Special Delivery and I enjoyed Double Blind pretty well but this book was excellent and engaging. All three books have characterization at their heart and that is what keeps the pages turning. I've just finished the book, and maybe I'll come back later and review on style or plot or other technical aspects.

Now, I can just write about how much I loved the characters; how very much I loved Roe and wanted a HEA for him.

The sex in this book won't be for everyone. It's very kinky, but I think it's written exceptionally well.

Thanks Heidi!

Edited to add..
Now that I'm past the initial glow of love, a few meaningful comments... Generally, first person narratives are difficult to pull off. The author cheats, either a) allowing the narrator to be semi-omniscent, b) having other characters explain their actions or motivations in unrealistic monologues, or c) making the other characters have physical expressions and postures that make their feelings and motivations glaringly obvious. All of those devices are annoying and usually pull the reader out of the story.

None of these techniques were used in Nowhere Ranch and because of this, we didn't know what was going on in Travis Loving's head much of the time. This was great and frustrating. Great because that's exactly what Monroe should have felt and frustrating because this made it difficult to see how Travis' character developed through the story. I could read this book again, told from his perspective.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nowhere Ranch.

Syfy Aww darn. I just read your spoiler and now am sad. This book was heading for my favorites.

Crys Harris Syfy wrote: "Aww darn. I just read your spoiler and now am sad. This book was heading for my favorites."

It is definitely one of my favorites and one I'll re-read when I'm wanting edgy romance. I'll admit that one subsequent readings, I skim the pregnant Haley parts. She provides a great character otherwise.