Amanda Pearl's Reviews > Velveteen

Velveteen by Daniel Marks

Oct 19, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, 2012-release, october, own, egalley, ghosts, horror, bir-2012, own-hard-copy
Read from April 25 to May 05, 2012

3/13/2012
COVER! I love the font, but I'm not 100% sure about the models. I was expecting something more artsy, maybe more of a drawn cover and less of a fashion magazine style cover. However, I'm still EFFING EXCITED for this book and can't wait for it to release!

Update 3/27/2012

OMG I HAVE NEVER WANTED SOMETHING MORE FROM NETGALLEY IN MY WHOLE LIFE.

Update 4/25/2012

YESSSSSSSSS

Update 5/5/2012

OMG this book...I tell ya, it is so unlike any YA I've ever read. It's got all of the elements of YA books and horror movies that I love. It's well balanced while still being freaky as shit. Oh and Velvet is amazeballs.

Update 10/19/2012
You guys. Velveteen is freaking AWESOME. FOR REALZ. This is probably my #1 most anticipated book of 2012, and I know this book doesn't come out until October, and of course I have it already pre-ordered, but I could not resist reading it as soon as it landed in my Kindle (thanks netgalley!!!!). And Velveteen does not disappoint. If you guys watch Danny's youtube channel (and you should, shame on you if you don't!) you know he is sarcastic, intelligent, eclectic, and a little bit creepy (and I mean that in the most admiration filled way possible) and this is exactly what you get with Velveteen.

The very best thing about this book is the main character, Velvet. She is fan-freaking-tastic. Of course I love her snarky and rude attitude that's wrapped in a bad ass goth exterior, but Velvet is SO MUCH MORE than that. This character is deep, yo. She's gone through some hardcore trauma and even though she acts all tough, I think she's a lot more wounded than she wants to admit (and you would be too if some sadist tortured you to death!).

I wanted to mention the world building too. I absolutely LOVED this interpretation of purgatory. The descriptions of purgatory aren't just descriptions, they're brush strokes. Seriously, Marks has one of the best vocabularies in YA literature. His writing is SO creative and descriptive. I found myself googling a lot of stuff just so I could get a clearer visual in my head, and I almost never bother to do that.

There are a few things I wanted to change about the story. I really wanted more Bonesaw! I really liked that character and I liked how Velvet reacted to him and I wanted more. It honestly felt like two books were being shoved together, and sadly my preferred story got neglected. (side note, when I read this back in April the synopsis made it seem a lot darker and a lot more of a revenge story, it has since changed to better reflect the actual story within which I think was a really smart move. The original synopsis would disappoint people who were looking for a horror book and got PNR and scare away people looking for an urban fantasy or paranormal story.)

I also could have done without Nick all together to be honest. I guess he was there to help bring out Velvet's soft nougat center or whatever, but he felt very one dimensional and kind of a crutch. I would have rather seen Velvet deal with her demons on her own.

All in all I really loved this book, but more so I really loved Danny's writing. I am extremely excited for whatever project he puts out next, be it another Velveteen book or something completely new. You KNOW I will be reading it!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velveteen.

04/25/2012 page 1
0.0% "oh yes I'm gonna read the shit out of this book!"
04/26/2012 page 88
19.0% "SPENCER PRATT...OMG I usually hate pop culture references but this made me LOL HARD"
04/26/2012 page 125
27.0% 1 comment
04/28/2012 page 200
43.0% "<3"
04/29/2012 page 206
44.0% ""Uh...not so fast with the semantics, dickweed."

Dear God, Velvet is just taking sentences out of my mouth lol"
show 2 hidden updates…

Amanda Pearl Can this book PLEASE COME OUT already!?! I am so excited to read it!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

awwwww <3

Gabrielle Carolina Really exciting.

Amanda Pearl Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Really exciting."

I'm so excited for this contest! It's so cool and while I think the author photo on your blog will be the one they go with, I kind of wish they would use the one from A Good Addiction. That one just screams "DANNY" lol

Gabrielle Carolina Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Really exciting."

No I think they're going with the dog, it is the best quality, like someone spent time perfecting it. I analyzed them when they got sent, mine is lowest quality. Sorry, geeky photographer moments happening here.

Amanda Pearl Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Really exciting."

ok just saw this comment today, but it was the one with the dog! You were right and that makes me sooo freaking happy lol

Gabrielle Carolina Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Really exciting."

Makes ME happy that I know what I'm talking about, lol. I was afraid after I wrote that, but then, it was the dog! Hooray! Just got my ARC in the mail today, can't wait to tell you it is awesome.

Amanda Pearl Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Really exciting."

I'm so excited for this contest! It's so cool and..."

I've already pre-ordered my copy but then I saw it on netgalley today....I want it so bad I can't even tell you.