VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Must Love Hellhounds

Must Love Hellhounds by Charlaine Harris

May 10, 2011

bookshelves: shifters, urban-fantasy, vampires, favorites

MAGIC MOURNS
No better way to make this short story more special than to receive it from the authors themselves!! I'll certainly cherish the copy!

But that aside, I will review as objectively as possible. Magic Mourns is a short story included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology that shifts the focus from Kate Daniels to her best friend, Andrea Nash. She's been handling Kate's affairs at her office until she gets a call to investigate a weird three-headed dog that seems to be running free. It turns out it's a Hellhound (well, at least the title of this book isn't false advertising!) She goes to investigate only to run into Raphael, the werehyena who is hopelessly in love with her. Coincidence Coincidence. They end up working together to do away with the fiery canine as well as the adversary that has summoned him.

I really appreciate how the authors were able to inject the full effect of the Kate Daniels world in a few pages, while using few familiar characters. There was a lot of action and suspense packed into such a little story, and it was nice seeing the use of tech (Andrea prefers guns while Kate prefers her magical slayer sword). The descriptions were also really well done. I ended up reading this *after* I read the fourth book because there is an obvious major plot development when it comes to Raphael and Andrea that is explained in this book. It's a short and fun read, and definitely worth your time if you're a Kate Daniels fan. Andrea has one of the funniest scenes of the whole series in the 4th book, launching her onto my "favorite heroines list," so I was happy to have a novella with her own personal development and back story.

The only reason I've taken off a star is because I wish it were longer. Andrea is a character that's interesting enough to have her own spin-off. I could also just be a greedy fan that will take any of the Kate Daniels world that I can get.

(More reviews to come for the additional short stories)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Must Love Hellhounds.