Sarah Kelsey's Reviews > Vice Cream: Over 70 Sinfully Delicious Dairy-Free Delights

Vice Cream by Jeff Rogers

May 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: food, nonfiction
Read in March, 2009

This is the vegan guide to making ice cream, and you'd better like coconuts and cashews because those are the bases for just about every one of these recipes. I have a food intolerance to dairy, cashews, and coconut, so that means I have to convert these recipes to other ingredients. I kind of wish he had just given basic recipes for various primary ingredients (e.g. a cashew base, a coconut base, a hazelnut base, etc.) and then given instructions for variations on flavor.

This book is also missing one thing I love in cookbooks: pictures. The cover is great, but that's the only picture provided.

This is a great beginning book for making frozen dessert from alternative ingredients. I kind of suspect that with the raw food movement picking up steam, there will be a prettier and more varied book on this subject out soon. This book is likely to stay on my cookbook shelf until that prettier younger sister rolls out of the publisher's warehouse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vice Cream.