Stephanie's Reviews > Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

May 22, 11

Read from May 10 to 21, 2011

I learned three things from this book:

1) Some people are big-time nerds when it comes to punctuation.
2) Those big-time nerds have every right to be upset.
3) I should probably be a little bit more nerdy when it comes to punctuation.

All I know is, as a society, we really have slacked off when it comes to punctuation. I'll be honest, there are times when I down-right know the proper use of an apostrophe, comma, (etc.) and then there are times when I have no clue. And don't even get me started on the semicolon; do people really even use that anymore!? Most of the time I'll just stick something in there that feels right. Then, because of our texting and Internet boom, we're actually encouraged out of proper punctuation. It's actually a stress-free place where punctuation is shunned upon. Anything outside of an emoticon seems over the top :(

But when it comes to writing a proper sentence, outside of sending someone a quick text about dinner plans, we're lost. So this author has every right to be upset and to put us in our place. Basically, (as the title even demonstrates) there's an importance to punctuation and an even greater importance to proper punctuation. It isn't, and shouldn't be, a lost art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.