Amanda's Reviews > A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: memoiresque, non-fiction, 4-and-5-stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Mhgoblue
Read from May 10 to September 07, 2011

It is amazing that non-fiction-- including non-fiction about seemingly boring topics-- can be this hilarious. I love his rambling, worrying over image, judging and feeling guilty about judging, and style of writing. Everyone's right. DFW was a genius.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.

05/10/2011 page 20
6.0% "So! Reading out loud: a lot harder than I thought it would be! My voice got sore!"
09/04/2011 page 36
10.0% "taking a break from infinite jest :-)"
show 1 hidden update…

Mhgoblue Yay yay yay! This is one of my all-time favorite books and I'm SO HAPPY you liked it!

I laugh until I cry every time - EVERY TIME - I read the story about the Q&A with Your Cruise Director Mr. Scott Peterson and the joke about his wife getting sucked into the toilet, with DFW dying of terror and sympathy, and it turns out to all just be a setup for a lame punchline. God. That's an amazing bit of writing. I've read it so many times I could probably recite it by heart at this point, but I still laugh until I cry every time.

What did you think of the state fair essay? It made me do a lot of thinking about how I feel about being a midwestern transplant to the east coast. That was the first thing of his I ever read and when he said the sky was the color of old denim I knew I was sold for life.