Jenny's Reviews > Ten Things We Did

Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, contemporary, young-adult, humour
Read in May, 2011

April’s parents are divorced and she’s currently living with her dad and stepmother. Her mother has also remarried and lives in Paris with her little brother. After a sudden announcement by her by her dad that they are moving to Cleveland, April is not happy. She’s not leaving her friends and boyfriend behind and instead comes up with a plan to move in with her friend Vi for the rest of the school year. Only problem is Vi’s mom will be away too and April’s dad will never let her stay in a house with no adults. So what do they do? They tell a little lie to April’s dad and he believes it!!! Now that the parents are out of the picture and its April and Vi living together -- Let the fun and crazy times begin!

Let me just say that its never boring when April and Vi together. April also gets $1000 a month from her dad as allowance which she doesn’t always spend very wisely. Take for instance April’s impulse buy (see #4 Buying a Hot Tub aka “Hula”). My first thought was that they are out of their minds and that they don’t need a hot tub. But I was wrong. There were a lot of fun times in the Hula and in the end it turned out to be a worthwhile investment.

Noah is April’s boyfriend and they’ve been together for two years. He’s one of the reasons why April decided to stay because she didn’t want to lose him. But its Hudson who stole the show for me even though he’s not in the story that much. He was there when April needed help. When Noah refused to help, Hudson didn’t hesitate and stepped in, no questions asked. Its such a mystery as to what Hudson’s job is and how he makes so much money. It’s so surprising once its revealed as its something probably no one would have been expecting.

Ten Things We Did was lots of fun to read. It will have you laughing and smiling from the first pages right till the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things We Did.