Adrienne's Reviews > Plainsong

Plainsong by Kent Haruf

Nov 25, 11

Read from November 24 to 25, 2011

I picked this book up somewhat randomly, after it was recommended to me by a friend. It's different than something I'd usually pick up, but it ended up being a pretty great story. And it's setting was Holt Colorado, although it was definitely a number of years ago. It had a good cast of characters and neither romanticized nor criticized country life, but just gave me an idea of what it was like.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plainsong.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Posselius PLAINSONG is a wonderful book giving voice to the small towns of eastern Colorado where nothing is terribly unpredictable but the personality comes through. "Holt" is the mythical name for Holyoke in northeast Colorado. This has been made into a Hallmark movie starring Aidan Quinn (Tom Guthrie), Rachel Griffiths (Maggie Jonas), America Ferrera (Victoria Roubideaux)and Margo Martindale (Victoria Roubideaux). See it some time.

message 2: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Posselius EVENTIDE is Kent Haruf's sequel to PLAINSONG. To me, Haruf finds a strong and believable voice for the people of eastern Colorado and I have read all his books.

message 1: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Posselius Thinking about your comment that you chose PLAINSONG "somewhat randomly," I am reminded of the quoye from the movie THE HURRICANE that "sometimes you don't choose a book -- sometimes the book chooses you." But really I think it means we are sometimes drawn to some kind of wisdom the book or its cover contain for reasons that are not apparent until we read it. Just a thought.